Thursday, December 21, 2017

Update

Well I see that I stopped writing in this blog in December of 2015.  A lot's gone on since then. I was searching at that time for a more convenient place to live. Something that didn't have 17 steps up and 17 steps down every time I came and went. I was increasingly frightened of falling on those stairs and in fact had one minor fall that was like a wake up call for me. Two other falls in my sweet Garden also were making my gardening time worrisome.

So I started looking at other options. My favorite which ended up to be my option of choice was to move into a senior mobile home community just 20 minutes from our current home. So I can still be close to my family and yet be independent living and be more secure as my age is creeping up on me.

In the early spring I found my dream mobile home. One that has a sunroom facing Southeast which is an ideal Studio with wonderful morning light and not as much sun in the afternoon.

It also has a nice laundry area of very convenient roomy kitchen with space for every member of the family to be cooking at the same time which is fun especially around the holidays.  Another thing that helped me determine this was the one was a large enough dining room for my long table to open up so I can entertain my friends and also have my art groups over to make art around one big table.   I had given up entertaining because only a couple of friends would brave my stairs in daylight and none after dark or in the rain.  Now everyone comes to visit.

This is a gated community and feels very safe the neighbors are friendly. I have gotten involved in some of the community activities such as the Arts and Crafts group that meets Tuesday Mornings.

This year I entered the golf cart parade at Christmas time as the golf cart was a a birthday gift that followed a bad scare with DMV who decided my eyes were not good enough to issue me a driver's license again. I followed up with many eye doctor appointments and finally was able to pass the their test well enough so that they filled out the forms that I could take to DMV and get my driver's license renewed. This was a very nerve-wracking experience and I know I won't be able to drive too much longer as my eyesight is failing and it's a progressive disorder that I have.   But I still feel like I'm safe enough to drive to my local activities. I don't drive at night. I don't drive on freeways. I don't drive to places that I'm not familiar with unless someone is with me.

I'm all settled in here.  The kids helped tear up the carpets and paint the floors for me in that same nice green that I had at the house and all my furniture fit.  They moved everything for me, they helped me pack.    I'm very glad I made that decision while I could still do it for myself and found a place that I'm delighted with every day.