Saturday, June 16, 2018

Blue and green

These colors are so soothing.  Posted today in honor of my mothers birthday.   She loved to sew.  Sewed mostly useful things like clothing.  She had been a home economics teacher for many years, later went back to college in her mid life to get California teaching credentials, and took job teaching kindergarten.   That became her passion.   

As I entered junior high and took my first home ec class, she taught me to sew.  Shortcuts and tricks.    Soon I was making my own dresses and once in high school  I made a matching outfit for my steady beau.   A mod black and white pattern, geometric.  His was a shirt, mine a skirt.    That paid him back for dropping off a gunny sack full of grunion after a trip to the beach.   My mom had a fit.    We buried them instead of cooking them.   Lol.   Anyway he was game enough to wear his shirt to Sadie Hawkins day dance. 

I miss my mom, but know she is still with me in many ways.