Saturday, September 8, 2018

Ebbetts Pass road

Twists and turns.     Not for trucks or pulling a trailer, however for beautiful forest views and vistas it was a family favorite.     In my fathers later years, I was the designated driver, as he could not drive distances or challenging roads... and my brother's eyesight had deteriorated to the point he could not drive in the mountains. 

  We made an annual visit to our home town, Silver City which meant we had to go over the Sierras.   My dad would pick the route and turn the keys over to me.     This was not my favorite road.     

Monitor Pass was even more challenging.   Heaven helped us if we met some ill informed driver towing a trailer around a  steep hairpin curve.    Someone had to back up...that was me.   I didnt want to see them backing over the cliff....    even stupid people deserve to live.     Mind you there are road signs advising no trailers or trucks over a certain length..... but you know there are those who think they are above such trivial details.   The invincible ones.   

Those days are behind me now and I can no longer drive across the Sierras or even far into the foothills.   So yesterday I painted this memory road.   Missing was the crisp fresh pine scented air.    My family is never missing, I carry them in my heart wherever I go.