Friday, September 7, 2018

Homeward bound

Traveling on Highway 4, West of Angels Camp presents some challenging twisting curves on a narrow two lane road. . Its actually pretty scary making a sharp curve and immediately dropping over a crest into an opposing curve.    Might be fun in a sports car, like my old 1956 baby blue Porsche.     But now in a relatively large SUV its more nerve wracking than fun.    However, there are other sights so beautiful and awesome along this stretch of road, its worth the few uncomfortable moments.   This is one route I could take between my country place outside of Avery, and home in Stockton.   So seeing this meant the mountains were behind me and home was ahead.    A transition I loved, whichever way I went.   

  Two of my grandchildren are bus drivers.    While they were in training, their instructor had them drive this road.    I can't even imagine how it felt to drive a school bus around those curves.   But they did.  I guess that was the ultimate test..... 

This sketch is farther west as the road ribbons over the descending foothills dropping down into the San Joaquin Valley vineyardscand farmlands.    I drastically  foreshortened the valley so I could include Mount Diablo on the other side.