Friday, April 26, 2019

Spring cleaning.

Well Spring lasted a few days before temperatures shot up to 90+ degree weather.    It was a shock.  My garden is needing more and more tending. Thank goodness for a watering system.

 The borage was over four feet tall covered with cobalt blue blooms, much loved and coveted by the huge black carpenter bees and the tiny honey bees.

I went out at dusk the other evening and cut them down and pulled up the roots,  undisturbed by the bees although as I was carrying the big bucket of clippings to the green barrel, they clung to the blooms determined to get their last treat.   I left the lid open so they could finish dining at leisure.

Of course the next day I was miserable with sore neck and back.  But its done.  Being laid up on a hot day gave me the opportunity to view some videos I had wanted to watch.  First was the Robert Burwidge abstractions.    Short videos.  He's so cute. Reminds me of Jack Lemmon.  Twinkle in his eye and sense of humor.

In one if them he was marking up bright colored papers with bold marks, then tearing them up for his collages.  AHA!   And again. AHA!   So glad I saw this as I have been trying to give away brightly colored rice papers to my mixed media group.  I set them out at every meeting for the last month and they have not been taken.     Most printed papers and tons of images were scooped up by the group members... but alas, these get no takers.

Now that I saw Bobs Blast video I was inspired to retrieve them from the giveaways and start marking them up.  This is fun.   I`ll make a project for the group to spend a day using them for mark making.   I only used pens and watercolor marker brushes.  He used a lot of stencils and spray paints but I didnt want to get that messy while Im really trying to clean the studio.  I just get sidetracked...

Im showing a few papers and the garbage paint pour experiment that went wrong.  My intention is collage over most of it.  Ala Bob Burridge.