Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New challenges and Face Off


Today I met with the critique group in Sacramento, one that I've been a member of for many years. We opened our closed group to a new member for the first time ever. It was very nice to get new input and fresh new eyes to see the work that is shown. Roberta is our newest member. You see her work here occasionally and links back to her blog. This is a piece she did awhile back. She brought some of her newer paintings to show us today. One in particular she wanted feedback on how to improve it. I can't wait to see what she does next. And she has also just recently done her very first abstract pieces. Which is inspiring me to do abstracts again. I uncovered a pile of my older ones in the studio cleaning process, and loved seeing them again.

I was also inspired today by some of Susanne's books. It gives me a good idea of how to present a small poem I have used before in an assemblage. I have been wanting to use it again in a smaller format. Susanne does amazing work. She will have a one woman show next summer of her book arts at one of the downtown galleries in Sacramento. She does not have a web presence, so I can't post a link. We'll have to wait and see if the gallery puts up an online exhibit of her work.

The new season of Face Off started yesterday. Oh my! What a fun show! All these talented people visualizing and constructing the faces and characters that could easily be seen in a movie. Like a Tim Burton movie. Last night they invented new characters that would be suitable for a new version of the Star Wars saloon scene. A couple of them were so worthy it was hard for the judges to decide on the winner. It is on the Sci Fi channel. I recommend watching it if you have any interest in the creative process of mask making, character construction or costuming. I had no idea how masks are first sculpted over a model face form, set up, then latex poured and cured and then released and painted. The ways they apply the paints/make up is quite interesting as well. And the characters they can create from their own imaginations are awesome.

Tomorrow I meet with the Lodi Mixed Media group. we will be working in small art journals using watercolors of various types. This should be interesting. Sally and Trina will be leading our group tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment