Friday, September 6, 2019

Where did the cicadas go?

On June 19th the cicadas started singing.  Two nights of night music.  Then no more. Not one.  So what happened. Im trying to figure it out.

This occured at a time when my garden needed severe cutting back of overgrown spring things.  I pruned back armloads if mint,  borage, and nasturtiums.    Did I scoop up the cicadas with the greenery?  Did they end up in the green barrel?

Or perhaps a neighbor with sensitive ears sprayed the back of my garden.  It could happen. There is only a decorative wire fence between us.

I love night sounds. The distant train whistle is a favorite, and wind chimes right outside my open bedroom window.   Early morning flocks of geese flying overhead, and my favorite birds that with lengthy repertoires.    Cicadas were on this list.  Last year was the first time I heard them here. Perhaps they have an unusual life cycle...and a few were off track.  Time will tell. 😒 

 Updated novemner 7th.  I have one green cicada on a large rose bush.  He is so well camouflaged it takes me a minute or two to find him with his long legs, and body thay looks like a rose leaf.   He moves very slowly from leaf to leaf.    The last three days I have not found him.  Nights are getting cold and days are short.   I suppose his life cycle has ended, but I know so little of this insect, it may be that they can burrow somewhere and dig out in Spring.