Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Kitchen capers

Today on the menu, meatballs.  Podestos is again offering their extra lean ground beef @ $8.95 a pound.

I actually masked and gloved up and went into the store.    I had been missing my Podesto beef, and for last few months prior to pandemic, they were selling an extra lean ground beef at $3.99 per pound.   But, it was inferior and I think so many of us complained, they brought back the expensive grind.    I think they double grind it.  And there is never a chip of bone or a piece of gristle in it.  Worth the extra cost.

Podesto is known for their meat department.  Actual butchers to talk to, get recipes and advice from, and to give personal friendly service.   Lots of butchers on duty.  There are always 3 or more in sight.  They can scoop up a pound of ground meat and know by touch that it is one pound.   It always amazes me they hit the mark most every time.

Raleys extra lean beef is not as lean, and not processed as well.  And everything is pre packaged in the cases.   Gristle, bone fragments, greasier.

So today I have meat balls in bbq sauce  in the crock pot.  Hope  they will be done by noon and I will test them.   I sure hope its as good as It used to be.
This is an old picture. 

Update:  yes, its great.