Friday, May 8, 2020

Fish fresh starts

Warning!!!  Painting koi can be addictive.
Im proof of that.

These are two starters.    A friend said, while she loves the turqoise water I'm so fond of using, she'd like to see the bottom of the ponds in more natural colors.   So, that's what I am doing.

I was considering painting delta water scenes with native fish, minnows, catfish, bass, etc.  Sturgeon?  Before I try those other fish, this is a good time to play with colors I associate with the sloughs.

For many years we fished on the central California delta.  My oldest boys were toddlers, and inlaws were retired when we started our two days off trips to delta from the bay area.  My husband and I bought a great cruiser that was very convenient for children and for us.  My inlaws went with us and it was not long before they bought one of their own and berthed it near ours.  We stopped at a bait shop and settled in for the night, then next morning pulled out and found islands of tulles to tie up to, or anchor near.  The men soon had favorite spots.  I fished some  but was busy with entertaining the boys.   My mother in law sewed.  We all cooked and shared our meals.   It was wonderful. 

Our lives took other turns as husband was career bound and we needed to relocate in Southern California, then another move, and then following a big promotion, we were on our way to Chicago.   That was the end of our Delta fishing trips. 

More than a decade passed, as did that marriage, and it would be years until my next Delta experiences with a different cruiser, a different husband.    Older boys were grown and out on their own, but youngest son was still in elementary school.   So off we went to the sloughs only a few miles from our home.  Water skiing, exploring, and fishing.   

The water was dark.  Lots of tulles and water hyacinths.    Sea gulls.   Ducks.   Catfish, sometimes surprizing colors.  Yellow.  Greenish.  Didnt look appetising, but fun to fish for. 

These are the scenes and colors my painting bring to mind.   Here are the starters.