Monday, July 27, 2009

Board Books - Kitchen Chairs







Children's "board" books are wonderful bases for making an altered book. As with the fabric covered board books, you can also cover them with papers. This little book was made because I came across a little stash of paintings of wonky kitchen chairs I had done a decade or more ago. It made me think of all the things that happened around our kitchen table as a child. I used fabric for the binding because it is so flexible. It reminded me of the aprons my mother used to wear.

Cutting the papers to size with a scissors, a paper cutter or box knife and metal edge ruler, and applying them to the board books with Aileen's tacky glue, and then gluing down the chair and little snip of words - what could be faster and easier? I used papers from a scrapbooking store. They had just the look I needed to pull it together.

If you want to make something like this, you don't have to paint chairs, you can find images in your old photos, or in catalogs or home decorating magazines. Whatever reminds you of home.
I didn't get any comments on the blog about this, but I sure got a lot of private emails. It seems that this theme evoked a lot of good memories for some of us. I invite you to share yours with us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment