Saturday, September 19, 2015

Colorful felted landscape a work in progress


I ordered a larger high density foam pad from Amazon and when it arrived I couldn't wait to try it.     Wow.  What a difference it makes.     My old foam pad had been punctured so many times, it was losing it's shape.   this is firm and takes far fewer strokes with the multineedle punch to grip the backing.   I use a piece of felt cut to the size I want my finished piece for a backing.       I had to cut the pad to a more manageable size to carry with me, but I have lots left over for larger works.  

This is the one I'm working on now.      When I peeled it off the foam, I was amazed how much more wool works it's way through the felt.    More than double the amount than the softer green foam.    Not sure if that's good or bad.   I did find it really difficult to remove it from the foam backing as it really stuck with the fibers worked into the dense foam.     

For laying out a piece, I just draped fibers across where I thought I wanted them and then tacked them down quickly with the multi needle tool (mine has five needles).     Right away I could feel the difference, in fact it was so fast and easy I thought it might not be as satisfying an activity because it was too fast.     Less meditative, if you know what I mean.    If you felt, you will know.    

Since I took this a couple days ago, I've made a lot of changes.   I also ordered some new colors from Ebay, so am waiting for new greens and salmon colors, even some purples.     Who knows what they may look like next time you see it.      It's definitely a work in progress.

This is one of the things I've been working on while the roofers are overhead.      It's Saturday today and they won't be around again until Monday.     It is so nice to have it quiet.      And peaceful.   Just like a little landscape.    

This will go in my series, Peaceful Places.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the tools make the work go easier but maybe the loss of the meditative quality is because you are working small and the end comes too quickly?
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is already a stunning piece. I can't imagine what the finished product will be like!

    ReplyDelete