Friday, May 24, 2019

Judging - "Show Me The Monet"

No. Not the Judge Judy kind of judging.... this is about art.     Judging an art exhibit is an interesting phenomenon.    Each judge has his/her own criteria and tastes.  It is totally subjective. 

For many years I volunteered to work as assistat to judges at two art leagues. So I met and observed a lot of judging.  My teen aged grandsons also volunteered with me to do heavy lifting.  Then afterwards we would critique the art and the judges.  Lol.

Two of my mixed media group are newbies to mixed media and showing art.     So, along with my good friend Jean, who is a fabulous watercolorist and teacher,  who went to see the opening of the Pastel Society exhibit at the Haggin Museum.

We were fortunate to get to talk with a few of the artists.    The best part of the day was discussing every piece amongst ourselves.  That way we saw them through our own eyes and also through each others.   

I have only been part of a panel if judges at one art show.  I loved it.  It was interesting  debating when we had differences of opinion.   Good experience.

I have seen judges, overwhelmed by the number of paintings in a category, make some odd decisions.  I have seen them go by the most beautiful, best executed works, because the subjects were not original enough..... how many egrets, barns, still lifes are truly original.?  No matter how stunningly beautuful they might be. 

In one case the judges circled the room again and again.  One noticed a small insignificant not so well executed painting of a subject that caught their attention, and gave it a second place ribbon.      They talked on and on about how original it was.

Let me point out that assisting the judge or judges - it is your duty to keep your mouth shut and pretend to be invisible.  You are only there to take notes, or record and mark winning entries, or move things for them.  You are not to express your opinion in any way.   

Golly, its hard.   Particularly in a case like this. I knew the artist.  It was a painting based solely on a photograph from National Geographic.  A no! No!

Technically it should not have even been admitted into the show.    Too late once they are hung, to stir up a hornets nest by challenging it.    Or maybe I should have.......   but I was told what my job was (and wasn't)  so I bit my tongue. 

Going to the Haggin the other day got me thinking about judging art shows.    I remember I had recorded a BBC program some years back so pulled out the dvds to watch today.   "Show Me The Monet" was the title. A serial where arists bring their works before a panel of three judges who then discuss the work with the artist present.  Two of the three judges must approve the work for it to be hung in a prestigious show.   

My copies were not high quality, so I thought to check You Tube and sure enough, there it is.    If the subject interests you, please check it out on You tube.  Its a good way to learn more about the judging process.