Thursday, April 9, 2020

Brushing up

I was asked what kind of brushes I recommend.   Well,  I use any brand, any shape, any size depending on the piece I am working on.  I also use palette  knives, paper towels, kleenex, credit cards and sponges.  

I am not going to recommend  any particular brushes but will point out things to consider when you are shopping for brushes. 

  If I'm glazing and building up transarent layers, i either use a make up sponge, or a very soft brush.  But for heavier bodied paints I use shorter bristles and not necessarily as soft.  Or I may use a palette knife or a credit card. 

I have no brand preferences.   For years I would stop by Michaels after work with a coupon in hand and pick out a brush.    

You have to find brushes that feel good in your hand. Is it comfortable?   Now I like the grips to have a gel cushion, but most of mine were purchased long before they were invented.  Lol.   

Do you typically paint small strokes or larger broader strokes.    

Do you prefer softer bristles, or firmer ones to apply your paints.   

Do you sit or stand while painting.   Longer handles for standing.   

Are you using expensive paints?  Or craft paints, or house paint?  Obviously they require different types of brushes.     If you are in an art supply store, most of their clerks can advise you.   Craft store employees typically have more limited art experience. 

Look on Amazon at brushes and read reviews.  I learn a lot from reviews by artists.     Particularly men. They tend to be more analytical and critical when it comes to tools they employ.  

Read the art supply catalogs and tutorials.  A wealth of information is available.    

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.     Its like selecting a toothbrush.   Its not a one size fits all.