Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fish Wife - a new painting in progress




I bought a sweet little snapshot of this woman on ebay and am using it as inspiration. First I scanned and printed it on ancient graph paper ( I was out of copy paper). Then I decided to sketch her on some water color paper. Oh my. It's not her face, it's my mom's face. I did it again and the same thing happened. Apparently mom is visiting my muse right now. Hi Mom!

Next, I blocked in one copy with watercolors and left it alone for a couple weeks. When I revisited it I still did not like it, so I started to layer some pattern tissue and papers over her, took her out of the boat, stood her up and gave her a bucket. I notice the fish got a lot bigger. Hmmmm.... I did this at the senior center on Monday.

I know technically there's a lot left to do on it, but personally I like it rough like this. A little charcoal defining shape of head and apron. I'll finish off the skirt and apron next week and let her sit awhile. Maybe something will speak to me. Hmmmmm..... Roberta, are you out there? What shall I do next?

BTW my mother passed away more than 20 years ago. It's kind of nice to have her pop up in my art from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment