Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Speaking of paper...

 I never had a good budget for papers, and raised to be thrifty (cheapscape).  Aaron Brothers carried the Strathmore pads and before the beginning of the school year they had their best sales.  I stocked up every year, expecting I would be poor as a churchmouse after retirement and would not be able to purchase the art supplies I would need.   Well, I have been retired for 16 years.  And I finally brought in the last 2 watercolor pads from my art storage shed.   My grandkids had access to them too, so its a wonder my stockpile lasted so long.

In a shopping feeding frenzy following some workshop or tutorial, I ordered really good watercolor paper.  Full sheets, heavy duty stuff.  My friends all ordered at the same time, I just got caught up in it.  But I never used it.  Never took it out of the shipping box.  Probably 6 or 8 sheets.    Whatever project we were all going to do together, never got done.  I think we were into book making way back then.

Over the years I forgot about them. I would see the box and for some reason had it in my head that they were inherited from my Aunt Verna Mae.   Then one day I brought out the box and found my address and name on  the address label. Shocking. 

When I started painting in watercolor I had only used the Strathmore pads, I knew what to do with them, but I was totally intimidated by the expensive paper.  My dear friend Jean who teaches watercolor urged me for years to use really good paper.   I just could not bring myself to do it.

Early during the pandemic we were chatting on the phone and she mentioned she was reusing the backs of some of her earlier paintings as she was out of paper and needed to place an order. I was inspired to go right out to the shed and grab that box of paper, drive over and drop it off with her.    I cant tell you what satisfaction I got from gifting them to her. They were like a millstone around my neck.    She is professional and only uses the best supplies.   And she was thrilled to get them.  I cant wait to see what new works she will create with them. 

Now with the pandemic and difficulties getting supplies, prices are higher than they were.  We sedom get 50 percent off coupons at local stores, or even 40% off.   I was happy to find these new pads on Amazon at such a bargain price.  Cheap, cheap, cheap.      What can I say?  I bought 6 pads. Lol